Thursday, November 4, 2010

Repent! The End Is At Hand!

I feel like Billy Crystal. And I haven't even seen City Slickers in its entirety.
The clip we saw in class pointed out that he needs to find the one thing that matters. But poor Billy Crystal does not know what that thing is. Nor do I. (Perhaps it is to watch City Slickers?)
Bottom line: I have been doing the dishes for the entire semester and have not noticed that Jesus Christ is in my living room. So to speak. (The Bible actually sat in my bedroom.) I devoted hours upon hours of time reading tax, audit, and cost accounting material as well as financial statement analysis and overall/managerial business functions. So I set The Bible aside because "Professor Sexson will talk about it in class. And if I come to the lectures, I will get all that I need to know."
THIS IS NOT TRUE!
I know that there is so much in The Bible that we will not cover in class, but I ignored these things so that I "could do the dishes." (not that I did them very well...) I just wish that Jesus had asked me to wash his feet. No wait... I wish I was pointed in the direction of the needful thing. (Am I now, simply by acknowledging this?) Of course, who is to say that reading The Bible is needful? If I were not distracted, I suppose I would be home writing (and not this blog entry! but a short story) Because literature is not about communicating tax brackets,

it's about sharing stories.

Unfortunately, I put The Bible down sometime in Genesis and only picked it up to get at a book that was beneath it (literally and figuratively.) That doesn't mean I have given up, I have just postponed my reading indefinitely. I am moving slowly through Plotz and working towards The Slave. I can't say I wish I spent more time on this class, because today we discussed how you can if you want to. I can say I wish it was offered year round. It took me months (I'm dead serious, from March 20th or so to September 1st) to get this class with all my business requirements. I was looking forward to this course so much because EVERYTHING has been touched by The Bible. (More on that to come.) I wanted to learn about God and Satan. I was excited to hear about Lilith and how she was part of the story, but not necessarily in The Bible itself. I wanted to study The Book of Revelations. I still can, but not in the time left in this class. We have eight meetings left? I just don't see it happening, and it saddens me because it won't be the same latter on as it is right now. This class is special and the professor is special. It is my own fault, but I am only getting out of this class what I put into it. I didn't research Lilith. I didn't blog about Satan. And I can't even remember other passed up opportunities.
The title of this entry : Repent! The End Is At Hand! comes from my own penance (a sacrament, as in the Roman Catholic Church, consisting in a confession of sin, made with sorrow and with the intention of amendment, followed by the forgiveness of the sin. from Dictionary.com) and the realization that school will soon be out.
Coincidentally enough, I must take an accounting exam soon, thus ending this post. (What are the chances?)
I hope poor Billy Crystal found his one thing and that someday I will too. And I hope you find your one thing. Because everything else is just distracting us

No comments:

Post a Comment