Friday, November 19, 2010

Themes in Revelation

While I was reading Revelation, I began taking notes because certain themes were repeated over and over again. These repetitions interested me because they were so prevalent in the text and because I did not know that they were.


1) The most prevalent theme I found in the Book of Revelation was that of numbers. Whether its four horseman, seven seals, three gates of the east, three gates of the north, three gates of the south, three gates of the west, seven churches, 666, twelve stars, or "a hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel;" this part of The Bible is full of numbers.

2) the second most prevalent theme interests me the most, so I'm going to hold off on it for just a minute.

3) Third is all the sounds that go off. There are, (what, trumpets?) sounding every time something bad is about to happen. I'm sorry I did not make better notes here and pull out actual examples, but when I read it, I got a very real impression that there was noise going on throughout the book. Thunder, voices, etc.

4) I also found books very important and repeated ( Revelation 5, 22, and end of Revelation 20)as well as lightness/darkness (It was just mentioned so much that I could not isolate any one or two passages in detail.)

2)Here is the second most prevalent theme, but the most interesting to me: animals. Not just referring to Jesus as a lamb either, like real intense descriptions of animals or people with characteristics of animals. Obviously I took notice of the horses but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Revelation 4:7 - And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him,

Revelation 9 discusses scorpions, locusts, and lions (and horses and humans again)

Revelation 13:2 -And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority. (okay, so dragons are not REAL animals any more than serpents can talk to people)

Right, so: numbers, animals, sounds, light (and dark), and books. I found these themes in abundance in the last book of The Bible. What did you find?

No comments:

Post a Comment